This was an interesting project, one I have not had to deal with for a few years.  A client was still running a single-user Great Plains 6.0 Ctree on Windows 98 (remember that?).  Fortunately, I still had the migration chunk file so it was doable.  First order of business was getting a copy of the code and data off the old PC, and ended up pulling the drive, attaching it to my notebook via  a USB adapter, and copying the folder from there to a virtual Windows XP Mode install on my notebook.  The Ctree version fired right up, and I verified data.  Upgrade to 7.5 was simple enough, except when I continued to get Pathname errors running Shrink on PM and GL history files.  I verified that the files existed and GP produced historical reports.  The problem was that during installation of GP 7.5, Utilities did not synchronize to the existing account framework.  As soon as I changed the dex.ini flag to TRUE and forced synchronization all was well.  Data upgrade was flawless as was Check Links.

On to migration.  I needed to use MSDE (SQL 2000 Express) for the database, which is also why I needed XP Mode.  I created the empty mirror database and ran the push migration from 7.5 Ctree.  The migration ran for 16 hours, and the data set was less than 500,000 records!  The processor was maxed on the virtual machine, which is why the excess time, but I didn’t want to kill the process, change processor and memory parameters for the VM, restore and restart.  I need to remember that for next time.

The upgrade to 8 was textbook.  On to 10 – a new problem.  Component installation failed on SQL Server Native Client 9.0 and would not complete.  There was nothing in the error logs.  I then tried installing just the SQL Client from the Bin folder, and finally received a usable error – installation was not permitted on a terminal session.  The fix was to disable integration components in XP mode and restart the Virtual PC.  Success!  Remember to re-enable integration components so you can see your local Windows 7 drives.

The upgrade processes to 10 and finally 2010 were non-problematic, and running SQL backups between upgrades ensured a successful conclusion.

Advertisements